Re: Kernel panic on boot with kernel 2.6.10 (SATA SiL 3112A issue maybe) & how to modify my initrd

Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
As I mentioned, I am very new to Debian, so could I bother you to elaborate a bit on what you mean by the debian kernel package system, and how to use that to make a custom initrd (I am getting more and more confident I just have a case of sata_sil not loading).
(i use aptitude to install packages, not apt-get, but feel free to use
apt-get if you like)
# aptitude install fakeroot kernel-package kernel-source-2.6.10
[snip]
$ fakeroot make-kpkg clean

the following on one line:
$ fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version=.20050224.0 --initrd
kernel_image

Wow, rebuilding the kernel to add one line to a file in initrd is hardcore, but, I guess, that's the price to pay for good packaging. Probably worth it too. :)

I will try that now. Thanks.

Andro