Re: Kernel panic on boot with kernel 2.6.10 (SATA SiL 3112A issue maybe) & how to modify my initrd

Andrey Andreev wrote:

Hi,

WARNING: I have been a Linux user for some years now, but I just got
into Debian a week ago, so I feel particularly dangerous to my own
system - please look out for idiocies I committed being overconfident in
my GNU/Linux competence.

So, I installed Debian 3.1 testing with kernel 2.6, and after a while
went to /etc/apt/source.list and changed testing to unstable. Then I ran
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, which went fine. Now I was running
kernel 2.6.7.

I was aware of security issues with the 2.6.7 kernels (at least on
Fedora, which is where I came from), so I decided to upgrade to 2.6.10.

I did
    apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.10-1-k7
(yes, I have athlon XP)

I rebooted and I got a panic at boot, looking like

8<------------------------------------------------------>8
[snip-a-lot]
ide1 at 0x170-1x177, 0x376 on irq 15
ERROR: Removing 'pdc202xx_new': Device or resource busy
[snip ~20 similiar errors]
ERROR: Removing 'via82cxxx': Device or resource busy
pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 431 cannot open dev/console: No such file
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attepted to kill init!

did you install a broken udev ?