Re: Kernel panic on boot with kernel 2.6.10 (SATA SiL 3112A issue maybe) & how to modify my initrd

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 17:54 +0200, Andrey Andreev wrote:
> Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
> >>As I mentioned, I am very new to Debian, so could I bother you to
> >>elaborate a bit on what you mean by the debian kernel package system,
> >>and how to use that to make a custom initrd (I am getting more and more
> >>confident I just have a case of sata_sil not loading).
> > (i use aptitude to install packages, not apt-get, but feel free to use
> > apt-get if you like)
> > # aptitude install fakeroot kernel-package kernel-source-2.6.10
> [snip]
> > $ fakeroot make-kpkg clean
> >
> > the following on one line:
> > $ fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version=.20050224.0 --initrd
> > kernel_image
>
> Wow, rebuilding the kernel to add one line to a file in initrd is
> hardcore, but, I guess, that's the price to pay for good packaging.
> Probably worth it too. :)

no, you can use mkinitrd manually, i am just describing what (limited)
work i have done with mkinitrd. that is, you can build initrd images
separate from kernel images, but i havent done that.

-matt zagrabelny