Re: [OT] Call to arms...so to speak

Hamster wrote:
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:40:09 -0500
"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> wrote:

Technically he's correct - IE ignores so many of the standards, that
if you author to the standards, it will work in everything *except*
IE.

Sorry, but that is not correct.  I happen to loathe MS and IE.
However, my website is coded to be valid XHTML 1.0 and CSS, and
*after* I had it validated it only took me all of 15 minutes to go
back and make it so that it worked nearly perfect in IE, Dillo, lynx
and elinks (without breaking the validation and without checking for
and discriminating User-Agent strings).

Yes, but if you try to use javascript that conforms completely to the
ECMA standard, and avoid all netscape/ie specific methods, it will not
work in IE.

I abhor javascript.  Because of that, I use it only for one thing:
the occasional opening of a link in a new window.  Since the
"target=_blank" has been removed from recent HTML specs, if I need
a link to open a new window, I use an href= with the link and an
onClick with javascript.  That setup ensures that even if the browser
has javascript disabled (or does not support it) the link still works.

And the whole point of standards is that you shouldn't have to do
"clever things" to get standards compliant software to work with it!

How true.  But to quote Admiral Grace Hopper: "The great thing about
standards is that there are so many to chose from."

I'm also curious which version of CSS you validate to. IE support for
CSS2 is the worst of just about all browsers. It will not render stuff
correctly.
I validate to CSS2.  Though I try to limit the advanced things that I
do.  Specifically, though, I do use the "position: fixed" for the menu
on the left side of the page.  IE does not support the fixed attribute,
so the menu just scrolls up with the top of the page.  However, that
is a fairly graceful degradation, so I don't trouble myself over it.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr