Re: [OT] Call to arms...so to speak

John wrote:
Glenn English wrote:

There doesn't have to be anything wrong with most people using IE
(they're there for an education, after all).

I didn't say there was a problem with most people using it, but there is
a problem when you require IE.

True.  I run into this all the time and it is downright frustrating.  I
go into an argument with one of the web developers at work a few weeks
ago.  Essentially, all the pages are designed to work in IE.  Most are
accessible only from the intranet (where they can control the machines)
but a couple are designed to be accessible from outside, for people to
be able to access certain funcitonality from home/on the road.

Anyhow, there was one page where you could query some info based on a
calendar date.  The thing was set up so that you click on a little
calendar icon and then it pops up the calendar.  Unfortunately the thing
uses Javascript.  Even more unfortunate is that it uses some broken
IE-only thing where it refers to the current object as 'this', rather
than using the standards-compliant getByID() (or some such thing).

The guy told me that it didn't matter since it works in IE and that is
what they use to develop and test.  Also, that if they tried to test
in every browser that people used, it would triple their development
time/budget.  I tried to kindly explain to him that if they developed
to the standard it would require minimal overhead to get it working
perfectly in the majors (IE, Moz, Firefox, Safari).  He disagreed.  It
really sucks since all of the pages are riddled with these little
annoyances that don't completely break them, but degrade them enough to
be a pain.
</rant>

The problem comes when the schools hire web designers who don't know
that there can be problems if they don't verify the pages with a number
of browsers.

In this case they know there are problems with other browsers, well at
least the consoler's manager did. As soon as I told him I did not use
IE, he said, 'well when you get IE, give us a call'.

Wonder when I'll be able to apt-get install IE, hopefully when Florida
freezes over!

This isn't quite 'apt-get internet-explorer', but this guy has a utility
that will fetch (or at least point you to where to get) the various
MS apps (MSN, IE, WMP) and then set them up in your ~/.wine/fake_windows
directory:

http://sidenet.ddo.jp/winetips/config.html

I did some tweaking since I had an already working setup for a few other
things in WINE, but it was not too difficult.

If you run into trouble, just post about it and I might be able to
provide some extra pointers.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez