Re: Sarge with ext3, reiserfs (3/4?) or xfs?

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005, Ron Johnson wrote:

> > > USB2 is much slower than firewire, and if a slow device is plugged
> >
> > So what, if it is fast enough?  I do not need a 1GB/s (or 2GB/s, I forget)
> > channel to connect a single 320Mbit/s device.
>
> ????????????

Firewire is either 1GB/s or 2GB/s I think.  A typical HD is about 320Mbit/s
sustained, even if it can get a bit better during bursts.

> I myself tested an external HDD that had both firewire & USB2
> jacks.  And then I attached the drive to the IDE chain.
>
> Internally, the drive got 55MB/s
> With firewire, the drive got 30MB/s
> With USB2, it got 12MB/s.

This is USB1.1, not USB2.  Something in your chain did not get validated as
USB2.

> The only thing that USB is really good for is really slow stuff
> like mice, keyboards, drawing pens, etc.

Sorry, but I don't agree with you.  It works well for moderately fast
devices as well.  IF you have it working as USB2, of course.

  Henrique Holschuh