Re: Using aptitude non-interactively

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 06:57:56AM -0800, Rich Rudnick wrote:
 [snip]
> > > 2. How do I get it to ask the configuration questions at a later time?
> >     dpkg-reconfigure <package-name>
> >
> > You'll have to do that for each dependency individually, unfortunately.
>
> Since I'm currently running a 3k modem line and do my updates while I'm
> sleeping, my version of this is:
>
>    aptitude --download-only install xserver-xfree86 >/dev/null 2>&1 &
>
> This will download the proper packages into /var/cache/apt/archives
> without installing them. Then, the next morning I'd run
>
>    aptitude install xserver-xfree86
>
> This will perform the installation with the downloaded .debs while I'm
> in the chair, and I get to see the configuration questions. (Due to a
> bad experience in my first weeks of using debian [pam!], I never
> install/upgrade testing/unstable packages except when I can supervise it
> directly)

  Install apt-listbugs package. It will warn you if there're critical
bugs in the packages you want to install. Personally, I use package from
unstable with preference 60, so they are not installed automatically. If
I understand correctly, after 10 days package sits in unstable without
critical bugs, it is moved to testing, so usually I install packages
from testing. But I'm also subscribed to debian-security-announce list,
so when a package fixing security hole appears in unstable, I intstall
these from unstable with: "aptitude install package/unstable"

--
Alexei Chetroi