Re: Sarge with ext3, reiserfs (3/4?) or xfs?

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 07:26 -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> > > So what, if it is fast enough?  I do not need a 1GB/s (or 2GB/s, I forget)
> > > channel to connect a single 320Mbit/s device.
> >
> > ????????????
>
> Firewire is either 1GB/s or 2GB/s I think.  A typical HD is about 320Mbit/s
> sustained, even if it can get a bit better during bursts.

Plain old firewire (IEEE 1394-1995 & IEEE 1394a-2000) is 400Mbps.
The newer IEEE 1394b is 800Mbps.

Nowhere *near* 1GBps (8Gbps).

> > I myself tested an external HDD that had both firewire & USB2
> > jacks.  And then I attached the drive to the IDE chain.
> >
> > Internally, the drive got 55MB/s
> > With firewire, the drive got 30MB/s
> > With USB2, it got 12MB/s.
>
> This is USB1.1, not USB2.  Something in your chain did not get validated as
> USB2.

Incorrect.

The maximum Utopian "Full speed" USB is 12 Mbps (1.5MBps).

Thus, when I got 12MB/s (96Mbps) effective throughput, it had to
be using high-speed USB2.

The 96Mbps speed that USB2 reached on my system is only 20% of it's
theoretical maximum.

The 240Mbps (8 * 30MBps) that 1394a reached on my system is 60% of
firewire's theoretical maximum.

> > The only thing that USB is really good for is really slow stuff
> > like mice, keyboards, drawing pens, etc.
>
> Sorry, but I don't agree with you.  It works well for moderately fast
> devices as well.  IF you have it working as USB2, of course.

I did.

What USB has going for it is that it is *cheap*.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"A woman should dress to attract attention. To attract the most
attention, a woman should be either nude or wearing something as
expensive as getting her nude is going to be."
P. J. O'Rourke