Re: Sarge with ext3, reiserfs (3/4?) or xfs?

On Feb 09 2005, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> Firewire is either 1GB/s or 2GB/s I think.

Well, Firewire comes in two flavours: 400Mbps and 800Mbps (aka Firewire 2).
My vanilla controller (and my iBook) only support 400Mbps. But it is more
than sufficient for all the HDs that I've tried.

> A typical HD is about 320Mbit/s sustained, even if it can get a bit
> better during bursts.

You guys are lucky enough to get such numbers. I only get 20MB/s on my
system and that's with everything tuned. OTOH, my system uses a 4 y-o
motherboard. :-)

> > I myself tested an external HDD that had both firewire & USB2
> > jacks.  And then I attached the drive to the IDE chain.
> >
> > Internally, the drive got 55MB/s
> > With firewire, the drive got 30MB/s
> > With USB2, it got 12MB/s.

I have also seen similar numbers with my devices (just got myself a 160GB
HD for Xmas).

> This is USB1.1, not USB2.  Something in your chain did not get validated
> as USB2.

I don't think one can really get more than 10M*Bytes* per second with USB
1.x, given that it is capped at 12Mbits/s. So, in fact, I think that he is
right about the USB2 part.

--
Learn to quote e-mails decently at:
http://pub.tsn.dk/how-to-quote.php