Re: Sarge with ext3, reiserfs (3/4?) or xfs?

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > More expensive,
>
> What's more expensive?

Firewire devices are, at least in Brazil.  I hope this changes, though. And
if it does, I will buy Firewire devices instead of USB2 ones.

> >                one often gets a machine with a firewire host
> > adapter that just is not supported,
>
> So it's just dumb luck that a generic firewire card bought at
> CompUSA (a big chain, has stores all over the country) works per-
> fectly in Linux?

Probably.  Maybe things are getting better in that area.

> >                                     and there is USB2 which is
> > good enough and nearly always supported.
>
> USB2 is much slower than firewire, and if a slow device is plugged

So what, if it is fast enough?  I do not need a 1GB/s (or 2GB/s, I forget)
channel to connect a single 320Mbit/s device.  USB2's >400Mbit/s will do
just fine.  And with the ammount of USB2 ports I have in my motherboard, I
certainly ain't going to share a channel.  Even the printer gets its own
separate channel for its slow 12Mbit/s transfers ;-)

> into a high-speed hub or daisy chain, the whole thing slows down.

Which sucks, obviously. But one can always plug the slow devices in another
chain, given the ammount of USB2 ports motherboards have nowadays (which is
what I do).

> That is dumb-arse design, and people who are smart enough to use
> Linux shouldn't be that stupid.

I never said Firewire was worse.  But it is not stupid to use the best tool
for a given situation, and USB2 *is* better than firewire for a lot of
things if you factor in the price and availability of devices.  That may
change in time, of course.

  Henrique Holschuh