Re: Sarge with ext3, reiserfs (3/4?) or xfs?

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 01:13 -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > More expensive,
> >
> > What's more expensive?
>
> Firewire devices are, at least in Brazil.  I hope this changes, though. And
> if it does, I will buy Firewire devices instead of USB2 ones.
>
> > >                one often gets a machine with a firewire host
> > > adapter that just is not supported,
> >
> > So it's just dumb luck that a generic firewire card bought at
> > CompUSA (a big chain, has stores all over the country) works per-
> > fectly in Linux?
>
> Probably.  Maybe things are getting better in that area.

That was 3 years ago.  The on-board VIA firewire from my Shuttle
SK41G works perfectly, too.

> > >                                     and there is USB2 which is
> > > good enough and nearly always supported.
> >
> > USB2 is much slower than firewire, and if a slow device is plugged
>
> So what, if it is fast enough?  I do not need a 1GB/s (or 2GB/s, I forget)
> channel to connect a single 320Mbit/s device.

????????????

>                                              USB2's >400Mbit/s will do
> just fine.  And with the ammount of USB2 ports I have in my motherboard, I
> certainly ain't going to share a channel.  Even the printer gets its own
> separate channel for its slow 12Mbit/s transfers ;-)

I myself tested an external HDD that had both firewire & USB2
jacks.  And then I attached the drive to the IDE chain.

Internally, the drive got 55MB/s
With firewire, the drive got 30MB/s
With USB2, it got 12MB/s.

> > into a high-speed hub or daisy chain, the whole thing slows down.
>
> Which sucks, obviously. But one can always plug the slow devices in another
> chain, given the ammount of USB2 ports motherboards have nowadays (which is
> what I do).
>
> > That is dumb-arse design, and people who are smart enough to use
> > Linux shouldn't be that stupid.
>
> I never said Firewire was worse.  But it is not stupid to use the best tool
> for a given situation, and USB2 *is* better than firewire for a lot of
> things if you factor in the price and availability of devices.  That may
> change in time, of course.

The only thing that USB is really good for is really slow stuff
like mice, keyboards, drawing pens, etc.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals