Re: Debian Rescue Floppy

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 16:09, Mr. Jan Hearthstone wrote:
> I did "linux root=/dev/hda1"
> but "hda1" was not found. So I look myself (for the
> nth time), and there is no "hda" to be found anywhere.
> The install "Menue" in the Debian Installer has an
> "Execute a shell" entry where I "cd"ed into every nook
> and cranny, but found no "hda"'s "ls"ed.
>   The script after "Execute a shell" says that my
> "hard disk file systems are mounted on '/target'", but
> do what I do, I only once spotted a "target" directory
> during my past (numerous) tries, and then never more.
> Only a "target0" dir, but that is used for
> partitioning?
>
> There is not much wrong with the system I have on the
> HD, only lilo needs to be re-configured, because the
> message I get at boot-up says roughly: "the kernel is
> overlapping (?) lilo at second stage (run level 2?).
>
> I understand that all I have to do is: either
> re-configure, or re-install lilo, and then just
> reboot, if (and if only  ;-) I ever get inside my HD.

So your disk may or may not be on /dev/hda depending on which IDE device
it is plugged into:

ide0 Primary => /dev/hda
ide0 Secondary => /dev/hdb
ide1 Priamry => /dev/hdc
ide1 Secondary => /dev/hdd

If you have another IDE controller configured the dive letter may still
be higher. Also if you are using SCSI instead of ide then instead of
/dev/hdxx it would be /dev/sdxx. Another thing about SCSI is that you
have to make sure that the driver for the SCSI subsystem is installed.

I've missed most of this thread, so I'm sorry of most of this is all
repeated.

--
 o)      Derek Wueppelmann                 (o
(D .       monkey@monkeynet.ca              D).