Re: switch from 2.4.24 lvm1 to 2.6.10 lvm 2 problems

Hi,

so i tried several STOCK debian kernels 2.6.9 and 2.6.10 to get a 2.6 kernel and
lvm2 going. Both of them give again this error:

 1 PV(s) found for VG main: expected 0
 Unable to find volume group main
 ntfs drivber 2.1.22 [Flags: R/O module]
 pivot_root: No such file or directory
 /sbin/init: 431: Cannot open /dev/console: No such file
 Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init

1) How come that even after i update all related tools to support LVM2 and
a 2.6 kernel, that a stock debian 2.6 kernel is not able to handle my root
on LVM? 2.4.24 works ok though.
( i tried 3a00, /dev/main/lv_root, /dev/mapper/main-lv_root as root
devices but for all i get the same error)

2) I then tried to compile my own kernel from the config of the stock
kernels and putting lvm and ext3 support direct into the kernel.
However when i want to make an initrd i get these:

root@arthur:/boot[14:51:46]#  mkinitrd -o initrd.img-2.6.10.31jan2005
   -r /dev/main/lv_root 2.6.10.31jan2005
/usr/sbin/mkinitrd: /dev/main/lv_root: Kernel does not support LVM

Wuh? I compile lvm2 into the kernel and i get "Kernel does not support LVM"
How weird is that. Is this a mkinitrd bug?

So a stock kernel can't reach lvm, a self compiled one neither so how am i
going to switch to a 2.6 kernel?
This is an ongoing pain IMHO on Debian. Probably my own fault but nontheless
a pain.

Thanks,
Benedict