Re: devices vaporise ? sda*

On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 10:31 +0800, Uwe Dippel wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:20:07 +0100, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > Is nvidia in your /etc/modules?
>
> Ron,
>
> I'm not attacking anyone. I installed udev because it was needed on
> another machine. Immediately after, I had no /dev/sda* any longer, could
> not mount my USB-camera and had X not starting ("no screens"). The latter
> was 'filed' in a parallel thread, and solved by the helpful suggestion to
> *add* nvidia to /etc/modules.
>
> When you're sitting without X and without your USB-camera and a bunch of
> people sitting and waiting to see pictures, you don't necessarily google
> for "udev nvidia". Googling with lynx is less fun, as well.

Use another machine?  One at work maybe?

> IMHO, what I experienced was rotten. That's all. And I was most happy to
> get the /etc/modules in the twin thread and your suggestions to get sda*
> back.
> Now I'm trying to gather if these experiences warrant to be considered a
> bug. And then, which type of bug ? udev ? or just a lack of warning in the
> installer; with an ensuing "Are you sure you want to continue? [y/n]".
>
> As of now I honestly don't know.

Deinstall the nvidia driver and use the nv driver instead.

3D will suck, but 2D will be fast, and that's what's needed for
viewing pictures.

You'll then have udev, X and the time to research on google.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Never for the sake of peace and quiet deny your convictions."
Dag Hammarskjold