Re: devices vaporise ? sda*

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 20:14 +0800, Uwe Dippel wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 04:30:09 +0100, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > udev dynamically creates partitions.
> >
> > "Great", you say, "but it's a PITA to 'sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog'
> > every time I stick in my thumb drive.  And doesn't pass the Aunt
> > Tilly test, either!"
> >
> > udev lets you (wants you to, actually) create local rules in
> > /etc/udev/rules.d.
> >
> > Attached are my /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules and /etc/fstab
>
> Ron,
>
> thanks so much for the explanation ! - I had a brief idea what udev is
> supposed to do; but these days, there are so many interesting
> developments in Open / Free Source, that I can't possibly work for my
> money *and* follow all of those.
>
> I wonder, and I don't want to quarrel at all, about Aunt Tilly. I'm not,
> I simply apt-get install udev; no warning (not that I saw); and my X is
> gone

Your GUI "disappeared"???????

>              and so are my nodes in /dev/.

That's ok, since udev makes them appear only on demand.

> I am Aunt Tilly and find no X and no /dev/sda. No USB mass storage any
> longer.
> I am not Aunt Tilly, and know about linux.debian.user. After I vi-ed
> XF86Config-4. There is quite a level of expertise required; and finally
> Aunt Tilly ought to vi rules into /etc/udev/rules.d ?

Aunt Tilly should only be running Debian with a geek relative
in ssh range.

An offshoot like Xandros, Ubuntu or Libranet should be her "stand
alone" distro.

> As I've said, just curious.
>
> Could someone give me a hint why on one notebook the same camera
> automagically seems to end in sdi and in sda on the other one ?

I dunno.  With udev, though, it doesn't matter.

> I'm asking for usability as well, here. Linux on the desktop is one of my
> interests. Joe Sixpack won't dmesg to find his digital camera on sdi on a
> D400 and won't find udev as means to download his pictures.
> And when Joe wants to show his pictures to his wife, who happens to sit
> in front of a I8100, he wouldn't know dmesg either, and would not know
> to not install udev.

That's what Xandros, Ubuntu and Libranet are for!  They take
raw, geeky Debian and configure it for you.

> No question, I was Joe here.

We all start out as Joe.

> We still have quite a way to go, I'm afraid.

It might be possible to write an app that lets Joe Sixpack write
udev rules on the fly.

> Thanks again, Ron, for your help !
>
> Uwe

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Pacifism can act more effectively against democracy than for
it."
George Orwell, 1941