Re: devices vaporise ? sda*

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 04:30:09 +0100, Ron Johnson wrote:

> udev dynamically creates partitions.
>
> "Great", you say, "but it's a PITA to 'sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog'
> every time I stick in my thumb drive.  And doesn't pass the Aunt
> Tilly test, either!"
>
> udev lets you (wants you to, actually) create local rules in
> /etc/udev/rules.d.
>
> Attached are my /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules and /etc/fstab

Ron,

thanks so much for the explanation ! - I had a brief idea what udev is
supposed to do; but these days, there are so many interesting
developments in Open / Free Source, that I can't possibly work for my
money *and* follow all of those.

I wonder, and I don't want to quarrel at all, about Aunt Tilly. I'm not,
I simply apt-get install udev; no warning (not that I saw); and my X is
gone and so are my nodes in /dev/.
I am Aunt Tilly and find no X and no /dev/sda. No USB mass storage any
longer.
I am not Aunt Tilly, and know about linux.debian.user. After I vi-ed
XF86Config-4. There is quite a level of expertise required; and finally
Aunt Tilly ought to vi rules into /etc/udev/rules.d ?

As I've said, just curious.

Could someone give me a hint why on one notebook the same camera
automagically seems to end in sdi and in sda on the other one ?

I'm asking for usability as well, here. Linux on the desktop is one of my
interests. Joe Sixpack won't dmesg to find his digital camera on sdi on a
D400 and won't find udev as means to download his pictures.
And when Joe wants to show his pictures to his wife, who happens to sit
in front of a I8100, he wouldn't know dmesg either, and would not know
to not install udev.
No question, I was Joe here.

We still have quite a way to go, I'm afraid.

Thanks again, Ron, for your help !

Uwe