Re: listening radio from the internet

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 05:14:29PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat is where he puts packages that
> aren't DFSG.  Think of it as semi-official...

I don't like it for several reasons.

First, political.  It isn't right that I use mplayer, but I have to,
so it's right that I have it from source as a kind of wart.  It's a
wart.  It's not ethical to "pretend" that this one archive is
authoritative.

Second, pragmatic.  I use a local apt repositiory and I dink with it
a lot, so I run apt-get update automatically a lot.  The more sources
I have in sources.list, the more I get hit by network latency,
*especially* using non-official sources.  Leaving out Blackdown and
others speeds up apt-get update a lot.

Third, aesthetic.  Marillat's repository contains other packages
besides MPlayer and it's dependencies.  I don't wish to see those
non-free packages in my available packages at all.

I need NVidia's non-free from the official archives but I keep
those commented out.

Fourth, I've already got something that works, and if I feel like
it I can play around with MPlayer CVS, plus I can tweak the layout
a bit more like I like it.

Mplayer and Firefox I build from source, since I live in them.