Re: listening radio from the internet

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 04:34 -0500, William Ballard wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 09:49:55AM +0100, Alberto Bert wrote:
> > how to play radio suggesting windows media player? They have another
> > format apparently, which realplayer cannot read.
>
> mplayer
>
> download the asx file or peek at the source of the web page
> look for a mms:// string -- there may be more than one,
> if the file has a "startup clip" -- usually an add
>
> then do mplayer 'mms://path/to/whatever?whatever&whatever'

There's also aviplay (package avifile-player), which, I think,
is lighter-weight than mplayer.
This plays my local classical music/leftist propaganda radio
station:
   aviplay mms://pubint.wm.llnwd.net/pubint_wwno &

Note that mozilla-mplayer also wants to play RealPlayer streams,
so having it (a plugin) and the RP10 plugin both at the same time
is a bit squirrely.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Python is executable pseudocode; Perl is executable line noise"