Re: [[offlist] Re: [Way off topic] the Quran

> Then why do early verses in the Quran say that Jews and Christians
> (people of the Book) or OK and can continue practicing their
> religion and later say that they must be converted?  That would
> seem like a contradiction to me.

The Quran considers Jews and Christians as people of the Book because
Allah had given them the Torah and the Bible(which got corrupted by
man). Also, Islam believes in the same prophets as Abraham, Moses and
Jesus(Prophet Isa). There are "NO" mentions in the Quran to convert
anyone. Infact conversion to religion is forbidden in Islam. One may
preach Islam to any and all and it is left upto the receipient to make
his/her own decision.

> Here you go:
>
> Surah 2:62:
>
> "Surely, those who believe, those who are Jewish, the Christians, and
> the converts; anyone who (1) believes in GOD, and (2) believes in the
> Last Day, and (3) leads a righteous life, will receive their recompense
> from their Lord. They have nothing to fear, nor will they grieve."
>
> Seems to me like Jews and Christians are OK.
>
> Surah 5:82:
>
> "You will find that the worst enemies of the believers are the Jews and
> the idol worshipers. And you will find that the closest people in
> friendship to the believers are those who say, "We are Christian." This
> is because they have priests and monks among them, and they are not
> arrogant."
>
> Oops.  The Jews are not longer so friendly.
>
> If that is not a contradiction, then I don't know what is.

What you are doing is quoting bits and pieces from here and there and
trying to make a contradiction. Read Surah 5:81 the verse above the
one you had quoted:

"If they believed in Allah and the Prophet and that is which is
revealed unto him, they would not choose them for their friends. But
many of them are of evil conduct.
5:81"

Because Jews and Christians do not believe in the last
prophet(Muhammad(pbuh), they are 'not in the right path' anymore. So
even though they are people of the book, they are still the wrong
doers, evil conduct etc etc etc

So your own bits-an-pieces-interpretation is causing this contraction.
You should read the entire Surah and then understand what is being
said.

Peace be upon you my friend..
- Rathon
Debian 3.0r1(Woody) | ASUS P5P800 Mobo | ATI Mach64 |
Intel P4 3.0GHz Cpu    | 1G DDR Ram                                |