Re: When the thread wanders too far

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 02:35:41PM -0500, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> I think it would be wise to implement a way of stopping a thread at
> the top level when it goes to far off topic. It has been the case is
> several of them very recently. In the last DWN there are some
> references about it, with some propositions about implementing a list
> moderator I think. It is putting an extra load on many of the users,
> and its making some to consider unsubscribing. Any ideas?

I think a moderator is a horrible idea but I don't like the OT threads,
although I jump in them sometimes, I *try* to stay away.

Perhaps when a thread has clearly left the building the servers could
just deliver those messages much more slowly -- which would have a
dampening effect on it without becoming the Draconian Police State that
is a moderated list.  Not just ordinary OT, but when it gets like the
ubuntu one did.  Or it could automatically deliver such messages to
debian-curiosa.

I hate the kabuki dance one gets into on moderated IRC channels and
lists.  That's why Stallman left his password blank.