Re: Strange LVM on RAID Behaviour with Sarge

Lucas Barbuto wrote:
on 29/12/04 00:58, Leni Mayo wrote:

Lucas Barbuto wrote:
> I get this error at the top of dmesg (repeated many times):
>
>> devfs_mk_dir: invalid argument.<4>devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for /disc

I saw the same error message on a sarge installation with a 2.6.8-10 kernel, but not the 2.4.27 kernel.

Recompiling the 2.6.8 kernel without devfs makes the problem go away.
ie .config reads:
	# CONFIG_DEVFS_FS is not set

I also rebuilt initrd.gz (with lvm2create_initrd.sh, see http://www.poochiereds.net/svn/lvm2/lvm2create_initrd) because the error seemed to relate to devfs initialisation at that stage of boot.

Leni,

Thanks for following up my post, I'm sure we're not the only two people
in the world to have seen this problem.

FWIW, i am seeing the same message on start-up with an LVM on RAID1 setup. System is a vanilla sarge install with kernel-image-2.6.8-1-686. I've been ignoring the message, and it doesn't seem to have caused any problems yet... ;-)

Paul