Re: udev and gnome-volume-manager not working in Sarge

Apparently, _Alex Malinovich_, on 16/12/04 15:11,typed:
On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 16:41 -0500, H. S. wrote:
--snip--

Okay, here is what I get when I list the hd[cd] permissions and those of the device link created by pluggin of a USB stick based on my rule in udev:
~# ls -l /dev/hd[cd] /dev/*hs*
brw-rw----  1 root disk 22,  0 Dec 15 14:13 /dev/hdc
brw-rw----  1 root disk 22, 64 Dec 15 14:13 /dev/hdd
brw-rw----  1 root root  8,  0 Dec 15 16:34 /dev/hs-jd-sda
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      9 Dec 15 16:34 /dev/hs-jd-usb -> hs-jd-sda

Regarding the cdrom drives (hd[cd]), I looked into /etc/udev/permissions.d/udev.permissions and noticed that I have these lines in this file:
cdemu/*:root:cdrom:0660
ide/*/cd:root:cdrom:0660
ide/*:root:disk:0660 <--- is this deciding the root:disk permissions?
hd[a-s]:root:disk:0660
hd[a-s][0-9]*:root:disk:0660
sd[a-z]:root:disk:0660
sd[a-z][0-9]*:root:disk:0660
sd[a-i][a-z]:root:disk:0660
sd[a-i][a-z][0-9]*:root:disk:0660

Am I supposed to tune this permissions file to make cdrom as root:cdrom? Also, based on these lines, should an /dev/sda device be made by /dev/hs-jd-sda and own by root:disk?

Yes, you need to edit the permissions file. The line you'll probably
want to look at for your hd* devices is:

hd[a-s]:root:disk:0660

You'll want to change disk to cdrom. (or, alternately, you can just add
yourself to the disk group.)

Here is what I did and it seems to have solved the problem:
I just created my own permissions file for udev in /etc/udev/permissions.d:
#> ls -l
total 4
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  163 Dec 15 21:26 00hs-udev.permissions
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 2674 Oct 30 06:56 udev.permissions

#> cat 00hs-udev.permissions
#permissions added by HS,15Dec,2004, based on:
#  http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/UdevHowTo

#to make CDROMs root:cdrom
hdc:root:cdrom:660
hdd:root:cdrom:660

So, after restarting udev:
#> /etc/init.d/udev restart
Recreating device nodes...done.

I got /dev/hd[cd] as root:cdrom. BTW, for the CDROM reader, hdc, 440 will also do, right? I cannot write to it anyway.

Regarding adding myself (or any other user) to the 'disk' groups, isn't that a bad idea? I hit upon this option when I first installed Sarge and people here told me *never* to add normal users to the 'disk' group.

Thanks,
->HS