Re: udev and gnome-volume-manager not working in Sarge

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:53:58 -0500, H. S. <greatexcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Apparently, _Alex Malinovich_, on 15/12/04 12:12,typed:
> > On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 11:32 -0500, H. S. wrote:
> > --snip--
> >
> >>BTW, since the upgrade I mentioned earlier, I am not getting the icons
> >>for 3 icons I was getting earlier for 3 of my parititions: 2 windows
> >>(dosd and dosc) and on other paritition that I use for video data. It is
> >>as if either gvm is not doing anything or as if gvm is not getting to
> >>know about these partitions or the plugging of the USB stick.
> >

> > Have you checked to make sure that hald is running? On my system hald
> > seems to randomly stop working requiring a manual restart. As soon as I
> > restart it things usually work just fine.
> >

> Yes, I have experienced that too: restarting sometimes makes everything
> work okay but most of the times, it doesn't. I am just not able to get
> the problem at the throat :)
>
> hald is running:
> #> ps uax | grep hald
> hal       3643  0.0  1.3  9556 3564 ?        Ss   11:26   0:00
> /usr/sbin/hald --drop-privileges
>
> I also read the /usr/share/doc/gnome-volume-manager/README.Debian and
> added myself to plugdev group, reloggedin and noticed it made no difference.
>
> BTW, what libs do I need installed for all these things to work properly
> and also are there any kernel options I must have enabled? I am trying
> to think about all possibilities that come to my mind.

I'm using the default Debian kernel package (2.6.9-3) and probably you
have all the needed libraries, so other than creating a new user to
your system and trying with it, i have no other ideas. If you put a CD
on your CD drive, is automounted? Do you have the /media dir? (don't
recall if the /media dir is strictly required)

Andrea