Re: udev and gnome-volume-manager not working in Sarge

Apparently, _Andrea Vettorello_, on 15/12/04 13:37,typed:

I'm using the default Debian kernel package (2.6.9-3) and probably you
have all the needed libraries, so other than creating a new user to
your system and trying with it, i have no other ideas. If you put a CD
on your CD drive, is automounted? Do you have the /media dir? (don't
recall if the /media dir is strictly required)

Andrea

No, cdroms are not being automatically mounted! They were earlier. I have to give the mount command to actually mount a CD in the drive and cannot eject as normal user anymore, only as root.

This let me to check /dev/hd[cd] (CDROM and CDRW)'s permissions and they are:
$> ls -l /dev/hd[cd]
brw-rw----  1 root disk 22,  0 2004-12-15 13:12 /dev/hdc
brw-rw----  1 root disk 22, 64 2004-12-15 13:12 /dev/hdd

They are changed from root:cdrom! I know this has happened only in the last couple of days because I burned a CD 3 days ago and was able to eject as normal user. And I clearly remember changing the permissions to root:cdrom after installing Sarge. One of packages that was upgraded recently seems to have changed the permissions.

Another weird thing, if I now change the hdc's permission to root:cdrom, and if I try to eject the drive tray, the tray retracts after opening -- it opens and then it closes by itself. If I eject as root when the permissions are root:disk, the ejected tray remains open till I close it. I am rebooting the machine (after changing the permissions to root:cdrom) to see if that helps.

->HS