cdrecord in 2.6.9 (vanilla vs debian kernel package)

I have this odd situation. I am running 2.6.9 in Sarge which I compiled by downloading the 2.6.9 kernel source from kernel.org since Sarge doesn't have this as a package yet. In this kernel, I am not able to use the cdrecord to burn CD's and K3b does not see my cdwriter as a write but as a reader. This is most probably related to infamous cdrecord problem in 2.6.8 (and 9?). And in this Sarge machine, I have:
ii  cdrecord     2.0+a34-2  command line CD writing tool
ii  k3b          0.11.12-1  A sophisticated KDE cd burning application

However, I have two other machines here which are running 2.6.9 in Debian Sid. Both have their kernels from Debian packages. In those machines, k3b runs okay and sees the writer correctly as a writer and I am able to burn CDs using cdrecord. In these Sid machines, I have:
ii  cdrecord    2.0+a38-1   command line CD writing tool
ii  k3b         0.11.17-1   A sophisticated KDE cd burning application

Would anybody be able to tell me is it the kernel (vanilla vs Debian package) that is the problem here or the different versions of the two applications?

thanks,
->HS