Re: Hardware hassles: Linux vs. Windows

Ron Johnson wrote:

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 19:54 -0700, Nate Duehr wrote:
Christian Convey wrote:

[snip]
An additional comment: Anyone wishing to fund/support a developer's work on any particular type of hardware certainly can. Rarely does anyone do it, however.

You think IBM doesn't pay people to work on the POWER tree?

Oh I understand. I was replying in context to his questions about consumer-grade devices. Servers get plenty of attention at IBM and HP and others...

Whether or not this trend will continue and translate into companies hiring people who can write good drivers for Linux for their products in a few more years remains to be seen.

I bet it happens more than you think, for server-oriented drivers.
Yep, only when there's rediculous amounts of money on the table. A $10 webcam doesn't rate an additional body to write linux code, usually.

Nate