Re: udev and gnome-volume-manager not working in Sarge

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:50:51 -0500, H. S. <greatexcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Apparently, _Andrea Vettorello_, on 14/12/04 14:34,typed:
> > On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:06:50 -0500, H. S. <greatexcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I am using Sarge with a kernel 2.6.7-1-686. I have udev and hotplug and
> >>gnome-volume-manager. However, I do not get an icon automatically when I
> >>plug in a USB stick. In the other two machines in my home LAN, in which
> >>I am running Sid, I can get the icon consistently.
> >>
> >>In this machine, running Sarge, I set up udev the same way as in other
> >>machines. Sometimes (rarely) when I plug in the USB stick I do get the
> >>icon on the desktop and it gets automatically mounted. Also, this hasn't
> >>happened for a few days now. Usually, it happens only if I insert the
> >>USB stick for the first time after reboot.
> >>
> >>But syslog shows that it sees USB insertion and de-pluggin events
> >>consistently. I also get the links made in /dev as I have specified in
> >>udev rules files for the USB stick I have. The only thing that does not
> >>happens is that the icon does not appear on the desk and it does not get
> >>mounted automatically (just as if gnome-volumen-manager is not seeing
> >>the stick). I have tried it in 2.6.9 kernel as well, but it doesn't work
> >>there even. Any idea what I am missing here?
> >>

> > Do you have "pmount" installed and "gnome-volume-manager" running and
> > registered in your Gnome session?
> >

> > Andrea
> >

> Before I answer your above queries, a little update. I rebooted my
> machine this morning and the USB stick was being mounted and the icon
> was being displayed properly on the desktop. Then I did an upgrade and
> noticed gnome-volume-manager (and probably hal) got upgraded. Since
> then, I again lost the USB stick automatic mounting and the icon on the
> desktop :(
>
> pmount is installed:
> $> dpkg -l pmount | grep ^ii
> ii  pmount         0.4.3-1        mount removable devices as normal user
>
> And gnome-volume-manager is running:
> $> ps uax | grep gnome-vol
> me   5768  0.0  2.6 17684 6868 ?        Ss   23:41   0:00
> gnome-volume-manager --sm-client-id default5
>
> I am not sure what "registered in gnome session" means though(?) Maybe
> this is the culprit.

I was meaning that your "gnome-volume-manager" needs to be started by
you if not "registered" in your gnome session (check from the Gnome
menu: Applications -> Desktop Preferences -> Advanced -> Session), and
from the ps output seems that is started from the session manager (the
--sm-client-id in the snippet above).

Looking in your previous post, you don't mention the "hal" package...

Andrea