Re: Cannot connect to network now...

Brian Coiley wrote:

Googling the problem reveals some folks discussing files called "Xauthority"
and "xinitrc" which are in the home directory.  I have no such files.
Should I, perhaps?

Try creating a new user ("adduser testman") and then log in as that user; see if X works.

If it does, then the problem may be in your user's Xauthority, etc files.

If not, I'd run "aptitude" and uninstall any X-looking packages, then re-run "apt-get install x-window-system". Alternatively, just start over with Sarge.

--
Kent