Re: Cannot connect to network now...

"Kent West" <westk@acu.edu> wrote in message
news:33LIq-1nw-7@gated-at.bofh.it...
> Brian Coiley wrote:
>
> >"Kent West" <westk@acu.edu> wrote in messag
> >
> >Exactly the same.  I don't think it has anything to do with the wm.  From
> >what I've learned persusing archives, the "client rejected from local
host"
> >message means that the X-server is refusing to allow me to log on, so
it's
> >not getting as far as launching the wm
> >

> You might take a look in "/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config". The "allowed_users"
> line should be set to console, as in:
>
> allowed_users=console

Yes, that's what it says.  There is another line that says "nice-value=-10".

> >which has
> >led me to have a look at the Xaccess file.  There is nothing in the file
> >(i.e. it's entire contents are commented out)!  Shome mishtake shurely?
> >

> Nah; the default Debian setup probably doesn't use anything in Xaccess.
> My "/etc/kde3/kdm/Xaccess" is entirely commented out (I use kdm instead
> of xdm).

Duh!  Thanks for explaining before I wasted more time on it!

> >>About X; try
> >>
> >># apt-get install x-window-system gnome kde icewm
> >>
> >>and see what that does for you.
> >>

> >Oh boy, a 161Mb download!  I don't have time for that right now - I need
> >Windoze at the moment - I'll try it later.
> >
> >Cheers Kent, I don't know where I would be without you!
> >

> You can trim a lot of that out by not installing gnome and kde and
> icewm. If it still wants to download stuff with just:
>
> # apt-get intall x-window-system
>
> then I'd say your X system is currently broken because it's not
> completely installed, and this command will probably get you working
again.

Sorry, no joy: it's happy that there's nothing to install.  I tried removing
it and reinstalling it (well, it's the sort of thing one always tries in
Windoze!) and it didn't help.

Googling the problem reveals some folks discussing files called "Xauthority"
and "xinitrc" which are in the home directory.  I have no such files.
Should I, perhaps?

Brian