Cannot connect to network now...

Here is the story so far:

1.    Installed Woody dual-boot on my W2K box
2.    Couldn't get Nvidia card to work
3.    On the advice of this NG, upgraded to Sarge
4.    Tried to install a 2.4 kernel.  Need to change LILO config, but I'm
not using LILO, I'm using NTLDR...
5.    Figured out how to change from using NTLDR to LILO, and tried again to
install the 2.4 kernel.
6.    2.4 kernel would not boot (interrupt failures on hard drive)
7.    So, installed a 2.6 kernel.
8.    Still can't get Nvidia card to work with nv driver.
9.    After much fiddling around with configuration, managed to get startx
to do something using VESA, but just shows a grey screen with a black cross
in the middle, and entire system is locked up.
10.  Hit the big power button and booted again.  Result...

Linux is now completely unable to see my network.  Fails to get an IP
address from the DHCP server, doesn't work, nix, nothing!  This is NOT a
hardware problem: it works fine if I boot to Windoze.  And it was working
fine for 2 days, up to an hour ago.

I have not got the foggiest idea how to begin diagnosing this latest
problem.  Something has clearly gone wrong with the NIC/driver setup in
Sarge, but I don't know where to begin.

Please help!  Windoze is beginning to look like considerably better value
than the £3 I paid for the Debian CD's, which will shortly become a set of
nice shiny coasters!