Re: security updates

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 11:49:41AM -0400, Nori Heikkinen wrote:

> on Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:14:01AM +0800, John Summerfield insinuated:
> > Nori Heikkinen wrote:

> > >reading the debian weekly news, i noticed a couple packages that i
> > >have installed with newly-discovered security holes in them.  the
> > >newsletter says about these packages "you know the drill."  well, i
> > >don't ...

> > apt-get update && apt-get  upgrade

> right, but i can't do that.  the rest of my message went on to say
> that when i try to apt-get upgrade (i've already apt-gotten updated),
> because i haven't done it in so long, apt tries to upgrade 500+
> packagest for me, which i don't have the space on /var to do.
>
> your solution is great, but i can't apply it until i figure out how to
> get apt to do only part of those 500+ at a time, to the point where my
> system is up to date.  until then, though, how do i apply a security
> patch?

Nori,

There have been several good suggestions regarding your problem, but
I'd probably try putting several of these packages on hold.  If you are
interested in getting completely up-to-date, you could put all these
packages on hold and begin removing the hold on them a few at a time.

You might not have to put more than a few on hold at the beginning if
you have some big packages like kde, openoffice.org, and mozilla wanting
to be upgraded.