security updates

hey,

reading the debian weekly news, i noticed a couple packages that i
have installed with newly-discovered security holes in them.  the
newsletter says about these packages "you know the drill."  well, i
don't ...

reading up on security on the security FAQ, i see that just upgrading
to a higher version number isn't the answer, as security fixes are
backported to the same version.  i have the relevant security lines in
my /etc/apt/sources.list, so i guess i'd just need to do an apt-get
upgrade to fix this?

thing is, i haven't done this in a long while, and not only does apt
want to upgrade over 500 packages on my system, i don't have enough
space in /var for it to do this.

so, what's the Right Way of getting the security patches to these
packages, besides apt-get upgrading?  is there one?  [1] seems to
imply that the right way is the way i can't do ...

thanks very much,

</nori>

[1]
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch4.en.html#s-security-update

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++