Re: security updates

On Thu, Aug 19 at 11:49AM -0400, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> right, but i can't do that.  the rest of my message went on to
> say that when i try to apt-get upgrade (i've already
> apt-gotten updated), because i haven't done it in so long, apt
> tries to upgrade 500+ packagest for me, which i don't have the
> space on /var to do.
>
> your solution is great, but i can't apply it until i figure
> out how to get apt to do only part of those 500+ at a time, to
> the point where my system is up to date.  until then, though,
> how do i apply a security patch?

to get all current security patches for whatever you have
installed, comment out everything in your sources.list file
except for

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

and then "apt-get clean", "apt-get update" and THEN "apt-get
upgrade"

i think. :)

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux boss 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #42 from Pietro Cagnoni <pcagnoni@mclink.net>
and Kent <ktb@nixnotes.org>
:
Would you like to DISABLE CONTROL-ALT-DEL? Piece of cake.
Just comment the line out in /etc/inittab
	# What to do when CTRL-ALT-DEL is pressed.
	ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now
and then "kill -HUP 1" to have init re-read the file.