Re: security updates

on Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:01:14AM -0500, David insinuated:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 11:49:41AM -0400, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
>
> > on Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:14:01AM +0800, John Summerfield insinuated:

> > > apt-get update && apt-get  upgrade
>
> > right, but i can't do that.  the rest of my message went on to say
> > that when i try to apt-get upgrade (i've already apt-gotten
> > updated), because i haven't done it in so long, apt tries to
> > upgrade 500+ packagest for me, which i don't have the space on
> > /var to do.
> >
> > your solution is great, but i can't apply it until i figure out
> > how to get apt to do only part of those 500+ at a time, to the
> > point where my system is up to date.  until then, though, how do i
> > apply a security patch?
>
> Nori,
>
> There have been several good suggestions regarding your problem, but
> I'd probably try putting several of these packages on hold.  If you
> are interested in getting completely up-to-date, you could put all
> these packages on hold and begin removing the hold on them a few at
> a time.
>
> You might not have to put more than a few on hold at the beginning
> if you have some big packages like kde, openoffice.org, and mozilla
> wanting to be upgraded.

hi david,

problem's been solved -- i just hadn't realized that i needed to do an
"apt-get install <packagename>" to upgrade a single package.

thanks!

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++