Re: security updates

on Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:14:01AM +0800, John Summerfield insinuated:
> Nori Heikkinen wrote:
>
> >hey,
> >
> >reading the debian weekly news, i noticed a couple packages that i
> >have installed with newly-discovered security holes in them.  the
> >newsletter says about these packages "you know the drill."  well, i
> >don't ...
>
> Assuming you have these
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
>
> in /etc/apt/sources.list (you only need the second if you're likely to
> build from source)
> (make sure you have all the seconds you need)
> then
> apt-get update && apt-get  upgrade

right, but i can't do that.  the rest of my message went on to say
that when i try to apt-get upgrade (i've already apt-gotten updated),
because i haven't done it in so long, apt tries to upgrade 500+
packagest for me, which i don't have the space on /var to do.

your solution is great, but i can't apply it until i figure out how to
get apt to do only part of those 500+ at a time, to the point where my
system is up to date.  until then, though, how do i apply a security
patch?

sorry if that wasn't clear.

thanks,

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++