Re: Configuring CUPS to allow all users to (re)start printer

On fredag 20. august 2004, 16:02, Tim Kelley wrote:
> Yes; configure the "admin" location in cupsd.conf to allow valid
> users, then they will be able to use their user accounts to do that
>
> <Location /admin>
> AuthType Basic (or Digest)
> AuthClass User

Uhm, OK, thanks. So there isn't any way to narrow it down to the
specific action of just starting the printer (which is really what I
was looking for)?

> Though this opens up a whole new can of worms ...

Yup. It doesn't really have security issues, since all valid users are
trusted, but they can manage to mess things up... Oh well...

> However, the real problem is why do they have to restart the printer?

It is sort of weird: If for some reason the printer is turned off or is
otherwise not responsive, and a printer job is sent (or in progress),
the printer will be stopped, and clearing out  the problem will not
help. Even a reboot won't do it. This is a HP OfficeJet T65, so it is
not among the Best Supported Printers[tm], I suppose.

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo