Re: problem installing Sendmail

Incoming from listcomm@ml1.net:

> > It is available.  Fire up one of the installers, turn off what you
> > don't want, turn on what you do, then let 'er rip.  You may need to be
> > in something like "Custom Install Mode" or something to get this, but
>
> I thought about that, but, (1) since "exim" is already installed as an
> MTA, I was dubious about installing *another* one, *whether or not*
> I would have to "uninstall" "exim".  Knowing no more than I do, I would

Nah.  Debian's real sane that way.  If you install exim, it first
uninstalls your other MTA.

btw, "apt-cache search exim" mentions exim-doc.  Highly recommended.

> that "sendmail" is a virtual link to the "exim" executable - which
> causes

That's just because sendmail is so well embedded into the history of
Unix, to compete any challenger has to emulate the sendmail interface.

> of course, some things are like tattoos - if you've got one,
> you better *hope* to hell they don't go seriously "out of style"

Or, you learn to dance, and roll with the punches.  :-)

> (interesting, though - is there some internecine
> warfare going on between alternately trendy MTA package developers?

The postfix guys think they know something us exim guys don't know.
The exim guys think the postfix guys need to read better
documentation.  The sendmail guys stand off in the shadows thinking,
"Can you believe these guys?!?"

         :-)

- -