Re: problem installing Sendmail

> It is available.  Fire up one of the installers, turn off what you
> don't want, turn on what you do, then let 'er rip.  You may need to be
> in something like "Custom Install Mode" or something to get this, but
> that's just to save newbie butts.  You can do what you want to.

I thought about that, but, (1) since "exim" is already installed as an
MTA, I was dubious about installing *another* one, *whether or not*
I would have to "uninstall" "exim".  Knowing no more than I do, I would
suspect that I might end up in more trouble, and end up spending more
time that way, than I would by just learning about "exim", (2) I notice
that "sendmail" is a virtual link to the "exim" executable - which
causes
me to further suspect possible miscegenation between "sendmail" support
facilities (possibly even in the kernel) and "exim" support facilities
- which then causes further paranoia per (1).  (I have many, many burn
scars...  some of them in unmentionable places...), (3) if, and not
when,
the MTA I'm using blows up and embeds shrapnel and rice grains in my
butt,
the most important thing will be, for which MTA I can get some support
- which is determined by the multivariable trendiness index of the
product...

> > Reason?: THE STUFF IS FREE.  If I were paying for it, I'd feel free to
>
> Very true, but it is your box.  I imagine the sendmail package
> maintainer needs love just like the others.  :-)  Then again, maybe
> not.  He may just be doing it so he doesn't have to run exim or
> postfix; I don't know.

Hey, his pet may come back into vogue again, you never know.  These
things
change with the breeze...

of course, some things are like tattoos - if you've got one,
you better *hope* to hell they don't go seriously "out of style"

(interesting, though - is there some internecine
warfare going on between alternately trendy MTA package developers?
*That* would be fun to watch...  from a healthy distance...)