Re: problem installing Sendmail

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 01:44:04 +0100, "Thomas Adam"
<thomas@edulinux.homeunix.org> said:
> On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 01:39:23AM +0100, Carlos Sousa wrote:
> > You mean, the OP decided for himself which MTA to use, instead
> > of just accepting whatever MTA the current Debian Cabal chooses
> > to shove down his throat?
>
> Oh, absolutely. Choice is everything, but would you really install
> an MTA you knew nothing about? I certainly wouldn't want to start
> learning sendmail. A good "middle ground" would be postfix.

Well, I'd already learned to use "sendmail", so I was sort of expecting
that the Debian install would make it available, but it installed "exim"
by default - so, having deduced that that was what was "Preferred" (or,
in more colorful terms, shoved down my throat by whatever cabal controls
whatever OS with which I'm currently having to negotiate), I've started
learning to cope with it.  If the "Cabal" (I think "cadre" is probably
more appropriate for software people in general) changes its collective
mind with a subsequent release (which would not surprise me one iota),
I'll "Go Along To Get Along".

Reason?: THE STUFF IS FREE.  If I were paying for it, I'd feel free to
drive whoever created it to collective suicide if they didn't give me
what I want.  But I want support, and if it's FREE, it's damned well
up to whoever created whatever it is, to decide what it looks like, and
what they'll support.

Or am I missing something here...