Re: can't retrieve large numbers of email

Sridhar M.A. wrote:

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 05:35:21PM -0700, Ric Otte wrote:
> > I think running fetchmail by cron would work, but the problem arises
  > when I am out of town for a couple of days and my home machine is not
  > running.  I could, of course, leave it running while I'm gone, but I
  > prefer to shut it down.  Next time I return from a trip I may try
  > downloading only 100 messages at a time and see what happens (but
  > there must be an easier way).  Thanks for the suggestion,
> Sometime back I too had a similar problem. Fetchmail would exit after
downloading about 30 or 40 messages. Worse, when I reconnected, it would
start downloading the whole thing again. I know it is a problem with my
pop provider, but I could not help it.

Later found that running (as suggested) fetchmail -e 20 (or some number)
would download so many messages, disconnect and reconnect. That can even
be put in your fetchmailrc.

Read the fetchmail documentation: you will find an option to checkpoint itself (I don't recall wht it's call, but I remember it because I was part ofthe discussion on fetchmail-friends when it was implemented(.

Every 50 or 100 or so messages, you can get fetchmail to close the connexion which results in the pop3 server acting on the delete commands it's received.

And you don't need to run fetchmail from a crontab, it automatically waits for an interval you specify and then checks again.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait