Re: Font Sizes In Fluxbox

s. keeling wrote:

> Ah.  You're using fluxbox on top of gnome-session?  I don't use gnome.
> Perhaps that's where this is coming from.  If so, the answer's in
> gnome control center.
>
> This is the sort of annoying interaction that drove me away from those
> big wm/dm/sm things.  Now, I just fiddle with a fluxbox config file
> and what I want changed is changed.  Also, I don't rely on some GUI
> config tool to fix it.  I use a text editor.

Hello s.keeling,

Truth be known, I'm not using flux on top of gnome. Just the base packages
from a businesscard iso network install and the X window system + fluxbox
post install. It's pretty lean and mean here, actually.

Anyway I now think I have a clue as to whats going on here. The dpi on the
Debian install is a bit generous compared to my Gentoo install. For Debian,
xdpyinfo | grep 'resolution' gives output 100x100 whereas with Gentoo the
same command produces 61x63, a sizeable difference by any measure. I'm going
to edit ~/.xinitrc to read as follows

xrdb --merge -  <<EOF
Xft.dpi: 72
Xft.hinting: 1
Xft.hintstyle: medium
EOF
fluxbox

to see if that improves things. The dpi setting typically moves up or down
in steps of 12, i.e. 60, 72, 84, 96 etc. If this setting improves things -
which I think it will - I'll let you know. You may want to return your
~/.fluxbox/init file to default and use an approach like this one if it
works.

jlowell