Re: postscript-enabled mozilla package anyone?

Gregory Seidman wrote:
On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 12:30:48AM +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
} On (06/07/04 17:26), Brad Sims wrote:
} > On Tuesday 06 July 2004 1:07 pm, Thomas Winischhofer wrote:
} > > Since I am not willing to configure my printers a third time with that } > > crappy Xprint stuff (why the heck do we have CUPS including easy setup, } > > PPD support, KDE/GNOME integration, etc etc etc etc), does anyone } > > provide postscript-enabled xprint-disabled mozilla packages? } } Well in ppc xprint is broken (it crashes both Mozilla and Firefox) - I
} ended up removing both packages and installing Firefox 0.8-8 which
} prints postscript through cups and just works ;)

If xprint is broken, that's bad. However...

[...]
} configuring xprint seems to be a major project/hack.
[...]

...I installed xprt-xprintorg with no difficulty. I then attempted to
print and, with absolutely no configuration on my part, it happily found
my CUPS printers. Furthermore, it still has a file output option which
produces Postscript. I think people are overreacting a bit here.

Then you are lucky. I tried it out, and it printed out 1/4 size in the top left quarter of the page. Hmm, that's not good. So I opened up print properties and noticed that the paper size was set to something wierd instead of /etc/papersize. And all the paper sizes were in mm for some reason, so I fired up a calculator and figured out that I wanted na-letter and tried to keep it from randomly resetting itself to iso-a4, but it still printed out 1/4 size. So I fired up querybts, and found a pointer to a FAQ which said that I was using the wrong DPI which didn't make sense to me, but apparently changing the DPI to 600 in /etc/Xprint/C/print/attributes/document would fix the problem[a hack]. My other choice was to write a model_config for my printer that specified that it only liked 600 DPI[a major project]. So I don't think people are overreacting too much.