Re: postscript-enabled mozilla package anyone?

On (06/07/04 17:26), Brad Sims wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 July 2004 1:07 pm, Thomas Winischhofer wrote:
> > Since I am not willing to configure my printers a third time with that
> > crappy Xprint stuff (why the heck do we have CUPS including easy setup,
> > PPD support, KDE/GNOME integration, etc etc etc etc), does anyone
> > provide postscript-enabled xprint-disabled mozilla packages?
Well in ppc xprint is broken (it crashes both Mozilla and Firefox) - I
ended up removing both packages and installing Firefox 0.8-8 which
prints postscript through cups and just works ;)

> Mozilla has dropped support for direct printing; presumably, due to a truly
> heroic amount of crack, and enough booze to make a Kennedy passout...

Allegedly, ps printing in mozilla allowed an exploit of some sort
through the webpage being printed.  However, I need to print reports and
the like from the web and configuring xprint seems to be a major
project/hack.  So I'll risk the exploit until sanity returns and later
packages will hopefully support "secure" ps printing ;)

> As it now stands your choices are A) not print or B) downgrade to
> a version that predates the brain damage.
>
> Go to snapshot.debian.net and get the following packages:
>
> epiphany-browser_1.2.6-1_i386.deb libnss3_1.6-7_i386.deb
> mozilla-psm_1.6-7_i386.deb libnspr4_1.6-7_i386.deb
> mozilla-browser_1.6-7_i386.deb mozilla-xft_1.6-7_i386.deb
>
> Install with 'dpkg -i'; be advised that you need to have the mozilla
> stuff installed before epiphany-browser.

This was mcuh easier than I imagined ;) Debian rocks!

> Then fire up your editor and as root add the following to
> /etc/apt/preferences to keep apt from updating them:
I use "h" (hold) in aptitude to leave this older version intact - isn't that
sufficient?  I suppose that I need to avoid doing an upgrade through
apt ..... maybe pinning is a better solution - another taskette to
broaden my knowledge ;)

> Package: mozilla-browser
> Pin: version 1.6-7
> Pin-Priority: 1001
>
> Package: mozilla-psm
> Pin: version 1.6-7
> Pin-Priority: 1001
>
> Package: mozilla-xft
> Pin: version 1.6-7
> Pin-Priority: 1001
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Don't bother trying to file a bugreport, I was told that lack of postscript
> wasn't a bug and it was closed. I guess I should just sell my postscript laser
> printer then; as the Gods of Mozilla have spoken and Real Printers are
> now passe.
Regards

Clive

--