Re: Pros/Cons Kde vs Gnome?

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 08:21:13AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Micha Feigin wrote:
> > 1. If you will read the whole thread you will see that its just gone off
> > track, and you pushed in this direction in the first place. Push
> > someone in the corner and then attack them for being pushed in the
> > corner |-D
>
>     Excuse me?  I did not.
>
> --- SNIP ---
> s. keeling wrote:
>
> > I gave up on both of those; they're equally uncontrollable, and far
> > too fat to leave any room for actual applications to run.  ymmv.
>

>     Could've fooled me.
>
> --- SNIP ---
>
>     s. keeling pushed that way, I only replied.  From that message CaT
> erroniously inferred...
>
> --- SNIP ---
> CaT wrote:
>
> > It's more of a case of 'Isn't 240Mb (or 200 cos of squid) a bit much for
> > a pretty desktop?'  ;)
> --- SNIP ---
>
>    ...that somehow KDE was taking up 200Mb which I later tested and posted was
> 16Mb.  Someone else, meanwhile, mentioned laptops which is where you jumped in
> with your "more memory used means more CPU cycles used!" claptrap.  Please, if
> you're going to accuse people of pushing a discussion one way or another at
> least check before doing so.

I tried those tests, they are bogus (didn't delve into the reasons). To
get true figures you need a clean boot.

disable display manager, clean boot, check free, run startx, check free,
start a kde or gnome program, exit, check free again (#1 checkpoint)
clean boot, check free, and startx with icewm or the such (#2
checkpoint) and then compare #1 with #2, that will give you something
closer to real figures.

I tried on several programs, starting and stopping several times and
checking free each time and numbers were never consistent (even for
small programs I could start stop start stop and have a 15MB
difference).