Re: Pros/Cons Kde vs Gnome?

At 2004-06-15T15:52:23Z, Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> writes:

> He got it from someone surmising that my KDE was 200Mb without backing it
> up.

I think you're probably right.  Maybe it's that people load KDE and launch
one program and freak out at the resource usage.  They don't realize that
KDE is very aggressively factored, so that first program probably loads 90%
of the resources that they'll ever use.  The marginal cost for launching the
second and subsequent applications is almost null.

For example, I hear people talking about Konqueror's "bloat", which is just
plain ignorant.  Konqueror is actually pretty darn slim, but it loads a lot
of shareable components to serve all of the functionality it provides.  It's
not like it really has a built-in text editor, PDF viewer, or even HTML
renderer - those are all KParts that it calls to handle a specific task.
Other applications use the same KParts to do the same tasks.  To me, it
seems like a very elegant Unix-ish way of doing things.  Noone complains
that a shell script is "bloated" because it implements all of the
functionality of sed, grep, and cat.
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.