Re: Pros/Cons Kde vs Gnome?

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 10:31:21AM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> At 2004-06-16T15:02:37Z, Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> writes:
>
> > Is someone actually arguing that 1s were more power than 0s?
>
> I choose to believe that they were arguing that desktop environments like
> KDE and Gnome require more CPU (which I would debate) and more installed
> memory (which I wouldn't debate, up to a point).

You chose right ;-)

and they do require more cpu, eye candy takes cpu power to draw (either
real cpu or graphic card cpu, either way, battery power). It also
requires more memory accesses each time you need to redraw parts of the
screen to access bitmaps, calculate transparencies, build gradients, ...

Maybe if you work full screen with the panels hidden it wouldn't take
more cpu power assuming everything was coded properly.