Re: sarge?

On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 10:38:13AM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> I've been tempted to become a Debian developer specifically to propose
> a fixed release schedule:  Sarge becomes "frozen" every six months,
> whatever state it's in.  Period.

Well, firstly, you don't need to be a developer to propose changes to
the release schedule (unless you're foolish enough to want to do it by
vote, at which point I think the release team would resign on you). You
might want to be a developer in order to be listened to, but actually
just being a developer isn't what gets you influence, but rather doing
the work.

Aside from that, I'm afraid you would have been necessarily ignored
until now. Without a working installer, there is absolutely no point in
releasing. This has thoroughly hamstrung any attempts at a time-based
release cycle until now.

I like the idea (to some extent; "whatever state it's in" is frankly
asking for trouble, but we wouldn't have to go that far). Until now,
though, it has not been feasible.