Re: sarge?

On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 11:23:31AM +0200, Nicolaus Kedegren wrote:
> * Kenneth Macdoald Karlsen <ken@fiona-victor.com> [2004-04-30 16:44:31 +0200]:
>
> > On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 01:25, Katipo wrote:
> > > Nicos Gollan wrote:
>   [SNIP]
> >
> > I agree with many of the posters on slashdot. A distribution that uses a
> > lot of focus on licencing and fanatic disputes about how the world ought
> > to be will probably end up as "something funny that was once ago". It
> > seems to me that foucus now is to support 11 architectures (many of them
> > are old) in sync and to remove/downgrade support for modern
> > archtectures/ hardware. That sounds not like a sustainable environment
> > for me.
> > Im out of here.
> > To qoute the dolphins: Good luck and thanks for all the fish...
> >
> > Kenneth.
> >

> Hey All,
>
> I am somewhat of a lurker that enjoys this list not only for the technical
> know-how, how-to's, how-not-to's, but also for the climate of the
> discussionss.
>
> Not only is Debian one of the best distros around, but IMNHO one of the
> real strenths with Debian is the fact that the developers are very aware
> of the licensing isues. In a world where SCO is claiming patent-rights
> over GNU software, this discussion is very important. I am not willing
> to give up our rights to use GPL:ed or other free (not as in beer)
> software, just to avoid a one-shot delay in a release. If using the
> latest and greatest is important, go with testing or unstable. I am
> aware of the fact that some software in woody is getting a bit long in
> tooth, but for me, freedom is more important. If i need to upgrade
> software, I can always use a different version than the one in Woody.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Nicolaus Kedegren
> --
Hi Nicolaus and the rest of d-u folks,
I have been following the discussion from bits here, from
planet.debian.net and misc sources. I appreciate the effort that goes
into making Debian but I wish that it could be a bit pragmatic and just
temporarity suspend the issues relating to the most recent update to the social
contract and release the debian-installer and sarge and let the world see
the great stuff that has been brewing in the debian laboratories. I
think the issue to examine the entierty of Debian to make not just the
software in compliance with the SC but also the documentation and image
files, sound file, etc. is great. But it will take so much time that it
would kill the momentum that was building around the release of the next
debian that the world at large was waiting for with baited breath,
especially in light of the whole redhat EOL issue and the increase in
interest because of it. I think that the re-examination of every
debian molecule could be done during the next release and would be no
loss to the overall goal to make debian as free as possible.
Aparently, some think that the new change must be put on the top of the
agenda and to do otherwise is the diminish the integrety of the release
and anything other than the most throughtly examined, free distro is not
acceptable. In theory this is a great thing and a goal I think should be
worked for, but in light of the timing of the change of the SC, I think
things should go on the expected path and let the version after sarge take on
the new changes to the SC.

-Kevin Mark