Re: debian and women? from DWN #10

On 2004-03-26, Kent West penned:
> Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>
>>what I should have asked, and meant to ask, is, *how* would you treat
>>women any differently than men?  Especially when your only medium is
>>the keyboard.
>>

> Well, not only me, but everyone else in this thread has allowed this
> thread to go on quite a while without someone saying "take it to
> private mail; this has nothing to do with Debian". Ya gotta admit,
> that's a bit odd. I don't know if it has anything to do with the
> thread revolving around a woman or not, but I do find it interesting.

Maybe because not everyone agrees it has nothing to do with debian, at
least no more so than exim and postgres and NFS questions have nothing
to do with debian?

> But beyond something little like that, again, it's not so much that
> I'd behave differently to a woman online; it's that there'd be an
> awareness of the woman. For example, even as I type this, a very small
> part of my brain is wondering if you're blonde or brunette or what; if
> you're in your late teens or early forties. Another small part of my
> brain is thinking, "what does it matter?" And then most of my brain is
> focused on the actual topic at hand. When responding to a male, my
> brain is focused on the actual topic at hand, and that's about it.

In contrast, I never wonder such things about guys on tech lists.  I
wonder if it's simply the "exoticness" of female posters that makes them
noteworthy.  I mean, if you were reading through, I dunno, some
female-majority list, would you wonder about the stats of every one of
them?  Seems unlikely.

--
monique