Re: debian and women? from DWN #10

On 2004-03-25, Number Six penned:

> Without countering anything you just said (cause I agree with you),
> I'd like to insert an aside about Why I Liked Going To Grateful Dead
> Concerts Even Though I'm Really Square And Uptight:
>
> It's one of the only places I've ever been where I was just free to be
> me and didn't feel like I was being judged.  Who am I?  Kind of a
> square and uptight guy who likes his hair cut short, can't dance,
> doesn't do the nerdy bitingly sarcasm humor thing or puns, in short, I
> don't like to exert any sort of Power whatsoever.  In short, I felt no
> *judgements* of any kind.  Any old type of personality will do.  It
> was like church.
>
> You got me thinking about it with what you said about power.  It was
> the only place where people looked at me, and said: come on, we'll
> take you just as you are!  Here's a joint and now let's dance.

That's pretty cool.  Reminds me of a story that has even less to do with
the topic at hand:

My then-boyfriend and I go to Woodstock 99.  (It now seems to be known
primarily for the rioting and torching, but we left before that
happened.)  Anyway, the first night, we slip into the crowd to watch
Korn.  As we're working our way to a mosh pit, a guy offers us a joint.
We say no thank you and continue on our way.

Afterwards, we tell the story to the then-bf's parents, and his mom's
response is, "But when you said no, he didn't get pushy, did he?"  She
honestly had this belief, thanks to our govt dollars at work, that
someone offering pot would be some kind of violent dealer who would
threaten us if we didn't take a drag.  This guy, of course, was just
being friendly.

The first couple of days of that concert were definitely awesome.  You
saw people from all walks of life there, but unlike most mega-concerts,
it was expensive, and so there weren't billions of 16 year olds running
around.  It was a magical experience.  After the first 32 hours or so,
though ... I dunno, it got ugly.  Probably cuz half the people there had
heat exhaustion.

--
monique